Wednesday, December 9, 2009

They be callin' me!

It is becoming very apparent that having good contacts pays off.

I got a phone call from a guy named Kirk saying he might have a gig from me. I met Kirk on the Joshua tree camping adventure, he was the sound guy. I guess that experience was more valuable that I originally thought. He said he is working a film this weekend and they are looking for more help. So I got the contact info for the producer and sent her an email saying I was able to work if they needed me. Well, she called me less than an hour after the email was sent and said that I was on the job. Sweet!

It is going to be this Friday, Saturday and Sunday although its not going to be during the day. It is another night shoot, 5 pm to 5 am on each day (ie. night). It's all good. I'm not sure what they'll have me doing, but I'm pretty sure I will end up doing Grip/Electric (at least if I have any say in it...). There's only one bad thing, no pay. It's good they were up front about it and it's OK because this will be the first "Legitimate" film I work on. I will be gaining good experience. And supposedly the script is really good. I am supposed to be getting a copy of it, so I am eager to check it out.

I also got another good phone call a day or two ago. My manager from the internship I worked last spring for SXSW (South by Southwest) called me up and asked if I was willing to come back and help again this year. They called ME! It would mean I would have to drive back to Texas but I would be willing to do that for sure. Last year I got to see tons of films and live music for free. And I got to go to several conferences and talks by industry experts and innovative thinkers. It's like a melting pot of Music, Film, Technology and everything awesome. Here is the website - http://www.sxsw.com. As with a lot of the things I do now-a-days, I'm not sure what they'll have me doing, but I whatever it is, I will rock it. I am really looking forward to this.

So I guess I have been leaving good impressions on the people I work with. I will continue to work hard with everyone I meet and hope that they remember me, even if it means I have to work all through the night....



-Things I've learned: Work hard at everything you do, you never know who will notice and where it will lead you.

-Plans for the future: To work hard on this film this weekend. It will be nice to meet some more new people and work with them. Since this is not payed I can only hope that it will lead to more work.

No comments:

Post a Comment