Monday, September 6, 2010

A Part of the Working Class

Yes, I guess I can officially say that I am one of the exclusive members of society that can say they have a full time job. Quite a feat, if I may say so myself, and it only took me 9 months.

So the job I got is as an Office Production Assistant at a company called Generate. They are formerly a management company, with clients that are mostly stand up comedians, but they also own a production company and that is where I work.

The way I got this job was through a friend that works for the management side of Generate (never know when or how a connection will help). About a month ago they needed an extra hand, so she recommended me and I worked for them for a couple of days. Then they called me and said they wanted me to come in on a regular basis (ie: Full Time) and I started last week.

It's not the most "sexy" job in the Entertainment Industry, but at least it's a step in the right direction. I am basically the low man on the totem pole and do all the stuff that no one else wants to or has time to do around the office. So any time we need to buy something or pick something up I go out on a run. This makes up most of what I do, buying various office supplies and random things that we need at that moment. It's not too bad, at least I get to be out and about for a lot of the day. But there are also other duties, such as making sure the dishes are clean in our kitchen and taking out the trash every night, not the most exciting stuff in the world. However, I do get to put the equipment together for the shoot days and I have been doing some "reconciling of petty cash" where I account for all the money we have spent. So the job is a little bit of doing stuff that is no fun and I don't really learn anything with a little bit of doing cool stuff where I learn about putting a production together.

I've only worked there one week, but I feel like I fit in pretty well. It is nice to have a full time job and it will be nice to have a steady pay check. Plus the people I work with are pretty cool. I am only going to consider this a temporary full time job, as I don't see myself staying here forever. It's just the next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment