Monday, November 15, 2010

A Pound of Flesh

One thing I believe is important throughout life is to continue learning. To always better yourself and continue moving forward. Because if you're not moving forward, where are you going? No where. And if you are not going anywhere, you might as well be dead.

Wait. Dead?

OK, maybe not dead, but you certainly are not making yourself any better.

That is why I always make it a point to continue my education in whatever way possible, to be a student of life. I listen to NPR instead of music on my work commute, to try and learn something about the world. And I recently started taking a Sunday afternoon Spanish class, just to keep in practice. But, probably the best way (and an inexpensive way) to learn about something is to read about it.

That brings me to A Pound of Flesh. No, it is not a book about how to be a coroner (this post has turned out to be rather morbid...), it is a book about Producing. Written by a guy who has been in the game since the 80s, Art Linson has produced some pretty well know movies like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Heat, and Fight Club. The book is written very well and is an easy read, but it is also full of information.

Linson takes you through some of the situations he has been in while trying to get films made. Starting with getting the idea for a movie, finding and working with a writer, trying to convince the penny pinching studio executives to give you money to write a script, then finding a director, then trying to convince the execs the give more money to put everything else together, like trying to get actors or locations; and then finally asking for more money to put the thing into production. Then all the other problems that come next....

I ate this book up because it is pretty much what I want to do for my career, but I think anyone would enjoy it. If you ever wanted to know what a Movie Producer does, and you want to find out through personal stories, definitely check out A Pound of Flesh. He wrote a follow up called What Just Happened?, which I plan on reading next. Gotta Keep moving forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment