Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Big Lessons from SXSW

The week of SXSW is pretty much a blur, as I think back upon it. But isn't that how most bad ass times in your life end up? Days pour into each other and the experience is remembered mainly as a whole, but an awesome whole none-the-less!

Lucky for me, there are a few specific things that I remember from that week and a half. Here are a few tidbits that I am taking away as lessons from the grand experience...

One of the cool things I got to do during the week was sit down for a "Mentor Session" with an established producer. I sat down for 10 min with Michael Peyser, the man behind movies such as SLC Punk and Speed 2 (I know, not the biggest movies in the world... but at least hes doing something...), and hear what advise he had for me. He told me that I need to get into the money side of the business, because that is everything. Once you know where the money comes from and where it goes and who controls it, then you can start working your way up into an important position. If you are in charge of the money, you can really have influence on the way things go. Kinda like the Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules. So that is a place to start at.

I also had the chance to talk to another producer (who wasn't nearly as cool or important as Michael Peyser), John Something-or-Another, who told me to read the book "Save the Cat" and its sequels, which are about screenwriting. He said it is important to be able to recognize a good script when you see it. Makes enough sense. He basically said reading the books is as good as going to graduate school for writing. I'm not sure about all that, but its enough motivation to check it out, especially if it comes so highly recommended. I'll at least give the back cover a good once over.

Another thing that I came to learn is that you can't always take what people say at face value and even a sure thing is not a sure thing (a least in the entertainment industry). Allow me to explain. I met several people over the course of the festival whom I good conversations with and exchanged business cards. Many of them work in the industry and were people I considered to be "contacts" I had made that could help me find a job out here in LA. They were all very nice and open to the idea of getting together outside of SXSW. So when I got back to the real world after that crazy week and a half, I called/e-mailed all of them but have yet to hear back from anyone. I'm not bitter about it or anything (Grrr...) and I guess I really wasn't expecting too much to come from it all, but it does kinda suck that none of it worked out. Some had me believing we could be best friends. Like a beautiful flower. But now that flower will never come to be... (huh?)

One last thing that I took away from being at a festival like SXSW is to try not to do too much all at once. Every night there were probably 2 movies and 5 bands that I wanted to see. I would try to get to as many things as I could, but in actuality I ended up walking all over the city, only making it to a few of the things and going to bed exhausted at 3 am. It was still an awesome overall experience and I got to see a lot of the stuff I wanted to, but yea, don't try to do to much all at once. I'm sure that applies to real life some how...


Oh and a side note: I had an interview with a company called Flight 33 for a PA job. They make shows for the History/Discovery Channel. I want to make shows for the History/Discovery Channel, so this would be perfect for me. I really hope I get it! I think I'll find out tomorrow. I just applied for the gig off an internet posting on the website http://www.realitystaff.com and they called me in for an interview. Fingers are crossed!


-Things I've learned: See above.

-Plans for the Future: Pray I get the PA job, hope for a reply from my SXSW "contacts", look for other opportunities in the mean time.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I'm sure it applies to life somehow... Just don't try to do too much at once... Probably a good call... haha. And don't worry John, keep watering your flowers and they will blossom!!

    And I hope you get the new PA gig. You working on the next "Planet Earth" and sending me the box set will be just splendid!!

    ReplyDelete