Monday, November 9, 2009

I'm here to take over the city!

Well, I finally arrived. I am now a resident of Los Angeles.

Now it's time to get the career on track. In a day or two I will be settled in and comfortable enough to start working. I think I will start by looking online for listings for Production Assistants and see what I can find. Supposedly you can find lots of opportunities if you put a little effort into your search.

The only thing I still need to figure out is how much I am willing to work for free. It's kind of like a right of passage and something I'm probably going to have to do in order to get started out here. And that's ok. I think the way I am going to play is if I am learning something new or gaining something else besides money, then I'll be willing work for free. I'm not saying I'm going to like it, nevertheless, I think I'll make it. But if it is something I have already done and I'm not really getting anything out of it, then I'm gonna need some compensation. Just a little somthin', you know what I'm sayin'?

I also need to get going on working my contacts. It's time to get out there and meet and greet and schmooze. Gotta work it baby!

Oh, and something I'm going to start doing for every post is writing out the "Things I've Learned" and my "Goals for the Near Future". Hopefully this will help keep me on track and will give you an idea of what I've done and what I plan to do.

So...

-Things I've Learned: Traffic in LA is crazy. There are lots of cars and everyone drives fast. Just something I'm going to have to get used to. And parking is crazy, too. I've only been here for a day or two, so the only thing I've had a chance to learn is about driving around. I promise this will be more informative in the future. Until then, every time I get in my car it's a new adventure.

-Goals for the Near Future: To settle into my new environment, research where to find work via the internet, get in touch with some industry contacts.

1 comment:

  1. I want to be the first person to comment!!!!

    1. Hopefully driving around Houston prepared you somewhat for driving around LA...if not, well then I can't help you
    2. Maybe if you put on your resume that you'll work for food and beer people will hire you. Yes, it says, "I am confident in my Production Assistant skills...and I appreciate surviving." The last thing Hollywood needs is an uprising of "manorexia." Congratulations on the running by the way...
    3. I expect to see some beach adventures posted in the future. Maybe that should be one of your goals for the near future. Because if you're going to bitch about the traffic you might as well be going somewhere worthwhile(build a fire for me!)
    4. Please carry a camera around with you. If you see famous people then you can take a picture with them! Don't be a creeper though. Let them know you're actually taking the picture.
    5. I didn't really have anything else to say but the list seemed incomplete with only four things on it.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete