Friday, May 7, 2010

Update-n-Stuff

It's been a little bit of the same old, same old... but not really.

The internship turned out to be pretty much a bust. I really am not getting anything out of going in there and making these phone calls for this guy to go to Cannes. I have been handed the short end of the stick on that situation. So I told him that I am only going one day a week and I am going to leave at 9:00 am instead of 11:00 am. That's right, I told him how it was going to be (albeit, very nicely). In these situations the interns have a certain amount of power because the company relies so heavily on them. So he is happy to have me coming in at least one day a week than not at all. Yet, I am not even sure I want to come in that one day... I just have no loyalty to the company, no motivation to do the work. The only reason that I have been going in while I have is because I get access to this website called Cinando, which is a very powerful database of companies in the industry.

The reason I want to keep having access to Cinando is that the contact of some the people who work for the companies is available there. I figured I can send out a "cold call" e-mail to these people and see if they want to get together for lunch or coffee or whatever, and impart their expertise on me. Maybe I can meet some interesting people this way and make some good contacts. And if not, then no big deal. There are many others out there. And so far I have actually had some pretty good success. I sent out about 20 e-mails a few days ago and earlier today one responded back to me. She works at 2929 productions and said she has plenty to share about. So, we are going to get coffee next week, and I am really looking forward to it.

Speaking of getting together with people, one of the people that my step-sister introduced me to, while I was still living with her, and I have plans to meet for coffee as well. She works at the Geffen Theatre and knows a ton of people. Sweet!

Speaking of knowing people AND getting together with people my step-sister introduced me to, another one of her friends whom I have loose plans to get together with at some point in time in the future brought me on to work a music video for a group called Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. It was a really good shoot in terms of meeting people on set who might be able to help me find more work in the future. So I am definitely going to keep up with them!

Something else is I had an interview for a company called Hydralux who does Virtual Effects. They are big. Click the name and see for yourself. The position would just be for the front desk, but I would take it for sure. Who knows what I could learn there. I got the interview because a friend of mine, Kristin, applied for the job several months ago (through the UTLA program for the University of Texas) and they just got back to her but she already has a job. So she referred me and I interview with them a couple days ago. Everything went really well. The only thing that hurt me is that I mentioned that I am not super interested in getting into VFX as a career (why would I say that?? Stupid...), and they are looking for someone who is, but regardless, they said I would be a good candidate. I await a reply.

And one last thing to update on, I worked a test stunt for Transformers 3! I have a friend named Andy who is a full time PA for them, and he gave them my info. It was a one day thing, and all I did was make boxes to land on (sorry, can't really go into details...) but I am now on their list of PAs for work in the future for Transformers 3. Score!

So I guess the rolling ball is starting to pick up a little speed. After six months in LA I'm not doing too shabby. Now all I need to do is update more often so I don't slam down a bunch of random things I've been up to upon you. Sorry that this is such a long post. I guess I gotta lot to say!

-What I've learned: Kinda knew this already, but networking is key. And even if only one in twenty will respond to your e-mails, it will be worth it to make another contact.

-Plans for the Future: Try and make more contacts and work more gigs. I was kinda unsure about sending the "cold call" e-mails, but I think I am going to keep that up. Keep on networking!

No comments:

Post a Comment